I. Basic Information
|VLS Student Number:|
II. Program Options
I would like to be considered for (check all that apply):
III. Program Deadlines
- A. Fall Semester: Students interested in doing an SiP during the Fall Semester
- 1. (Full-Time): February 1
- 2. (Part-Time): A request to enroll in the part-time program must be completed by April 15, and students must meet with an SiP faculty member and identify a likely field supervisor no later than May 1.
- B. Spring Semester: Students interested in doing an SiP during the Spring Semester (Full- and Part-Time):
IV. Requirements to Fulfill Prior to Enrolling
Before you may enroll in the SiP Program there are two things we strongly encourage you to do:
- A. Have a meeting with your faculty advisor and discuss how an externship would fit into your overall academic plan.
- B. Have a meeting with staff in Career Services to review your resume, writing sample and career goals.
In order to schedule a meeting with SiP/Externship Faculty, you need to complete the following:
- A. Read the section in the Academic Regulations that pertains to full and/or part time externships.
- B. Give program coordinator:
- Your resume
- One or two writing samples
- For VLS students, a list of three references, two of them VLS faculty. From transfer/visitors, a letter of reference from a former employer, professor or other professional who knows you and can speak to your maturity and ability to benefit from a field based experience.
- A copy of your Cumulative Grade Report which can be obtained by sending a request and Student ID to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Answers to the following questions. Your answers will not be read by potential mentors.
|What are your goals for your 3 years in law school? |
|How do you intend to integrate or imagine integrating your learning in law school with the work you eventually plan to do? |
|What practical experience, legal and non-legal, do you already have? |
|Is there relevant course work you must complete before you graduate? Are there courses you really want to take? |
|What do you imagine a SiP (whether full-time, part-time, or judicial) can add to your overall legal education? |
|Do you already have specific ideas about where you would like to spend a SiP or with whom? (Remember, please do NOT contact potential mentors prior to meeting with a faculty member in the SiP program). |
|Who is your faculty advisor or advisor in fact? Have you met with him or her to discuss your interest in SiP?|
|For each item, attach a file that contains the information. To attach a file, click the "Browse" button, locate the file on your computer, and select it using the "Open" button in the "Choose File" window.|
|Writing Sample #1|
|(optional) Writing Sample #2|
NOTE: WE WILL NOT CONSIDER YOUR APPLICATION COMPLETE UNLESS WE RECEIVE YOUR RESUME, LIST OF REFERENCES, TRANSCRIPT AND WRITING SAMPLES IN ELECTRONIC FORMAT.
V. Program Requirements
A. Program Requirements for Full-Time Semester in Practice:
In order for students to be eligible to participate in a full time Semester in Practice Program students must:
- 1. Be in their 4th or 5th semester of the JD program; and have at least a 2.4 grade point average.
- 2. Be in their 6th semester and have:
- a. A 3.2 grade point average
- b. Is a participant in the General Practice Program (and has obtained the approval of the GPP Director); or is a participant in the International and Comparative Law Certificate Program, or the JD/MEM or JD/MBA Dual Degree Program.
B. Program Requirements for Part-Time Semester in Practice:
In order for students to be eligible to participate in a part-time Semester in Practice Program students must:
Please contact Externship faculty Christine Cimini (email@example.com) (1281) or Jeffry White (x1156) or firstname.lastname@example.org) or the Externship Program Coordinator Shannon Leach (email@example.com) (x1259) with any questions.
- 1. Be in their 4th, 5th or 6th semester of the JD program; and have at least a 2.4 grade point average.