Resources for Additional Information:
Books about Access to Land, Planning, Business Management, Starting up a Farm
- Access to farmland: A systems change perspective. Kathryn Z. Ruhf.
- Credit markets and land ownership for young and beginning farmers. Nathan S. Kauffman. Choices: the magazine of food, farm and resource issues (Online). 28.2 (Apr. 2013)
- Holding Ground: A Guide to Northeast Farmland Tenure and Stewardship. Annette Higby, Kathy Ruhf, and Andrea Woloschuk, 2004. New England Small Farm Institute.
- Farmland Transfer & Protection in New England: A Guide for Entering and Exiting Farmers. Kathy Ruhf. 1999. New England Small Farm Institute.
- Exploring the Small Farm Dream. Is Starting an Agricultural Business Right for You? Self- Study Edition. Kathryn Hayes and others. 2002. New England Small Farm Institute.
- Whole Farm Planning: Ecological Imperatives, Personal Values and Economics. Elizabeth Henderson and Karl North, 2004. NOFA Organic Principles and Practices Handbook Series.
- Business Planning Workbook: A Guide to Developing Your Farm Transition Business Plan. Gene Gouthier, Rick Hermonot and others. 2001. First Pioneer Farm Credit, ACA.
- You Can Farm: The Entrepreneur's Guide to Start & Succeed in a Farming Enterprise. Joel Salatin. 1998. Polyface Farm.
- Finding the Niche: Case Studies of Beginning Small-Scale Farmers. Katherine Griffith. 1991. Wisconsin Rural Development Center. Available from NESFI.
- Listening to New Farmers: Findings from New Farmer Focus Groups. Sue Ellen Johnson and others. 2001. New England Small Farm Institute.
Law Review articles for practitioners and advocates
- Katie Hannon Michel, Landless: Legal & Policy Tools for Transferring Vermont Farmland to the Next Generation of Stewards and Food Producers, 39 Vt. L. Rev. 461, 462 (2014)
- Kenneth Miller, Adam Prizio, Innovative Use of the Law for Small-Scale Producers, 26 J. Envtl. L. & Litig. 131, 133 (2011)
- Edward Cox, A Lease-Based Approach to Sustainable Farming, Part I?: Farm Tenancy Trends and the Outlook for Sustainability on Rented Land, 15 Drake J. Agric. L. 369, 370 (2010).
- Jamie Baxter, Legal Institutions of Farmland Succession: Implications for Sustainable Food Systems, 65 Me. L. Rev. 381 (2013)
- Neil D. Hamilton, Feeding Our Green Future: Legal Responsibilities and Sustainable Agricultural Land Tenure, 13 Drake J. Agric. L. 377, 399 (2008)